Monday, January 22, 2007

TV Review: Dresden Files

I saw an ad for the show, which made it sound like the SciFi version of CSI. CSI + SciFi should = a good show, right?

Well, it's not very much CSI. One "crime", which he was able to immediately solve, or at least identify what was going on. As a means of learning about Dresden's world, it's not a bad method: we went straight to commercial break and I spent the entire break assimilating the information into the plot to figure out what was going to happen next. On the other hand, if we meet a new monster every week, we're going to have a lot of monsters pretty quickly. SciFi is really pushing the crime scene analysis angle, for no good reason that I can tell, since it doesn't appear to exist. Maybe the next episodes.

But still, the backstories are pretty good: we've already met the big bad villain; whether we're going to deal with him every week or just on special occasions remains to be seen. We'll see if they revisit the woman problem. Bob looks familiar, but I never saw him in any of the things listed in his cast biography, so I don't know.

It's going on my schedule to watch for the next few weeks at least.

No comments: