Sunday, November 19, 2006

Things you discover when Googling your own name

University Microfilms Inc. has apparently partnered with amazon.com to bring Ph.D. dissertations (from fine participating institutions, such as Duke) to the masses at $69.99 a pop. All the ones I've looked at have sold a grand total of 0, based on their (lack of) sales rank. And one of my classmates' dissertations is unavailable, or at least I can't find it either by author or by title. (Granted, I never knew that there was an Victorian (Australia) premier with the same name in the earlier parts of the 20th century, so I learned two things here.) I don't know how far back they go--random names from a year or two earlier weren't finding anything either. It seems that, for whatever reason, they're not in a huge hurry.

No comments: