Anyway, the tab-delimited file only goes to puzzle 6 (I don't know why), but I think I figured out a way for Excel to tell me an estimate of the number of people who got a puzzle right (they must have scored at least 10w points, where w is the number of words, and the excess over that value must be a multiple of 25). This formula will (incorrectly) count people who have 5n words wrong, for any multiple of n and who had enough of a time bonus to deal with the at least 125-point hit (you can get three letters wrong and miss five words, so 50 points for the words and 75 points for the lost time on letters). I can't say how often that happens. This is my data:
Remembering that there were 675 participants, that means that I estimate 81.3% of all solvers correctly solved puzzle 1, while a whopping 94.2% of solvers correctly solved puzzle 4 (the high), and 16.4% solved puzzle 5 correctly (the low). I wonder how often puzzle 4 outperforms puzzle 1 like that, and by how much.
There were clear winners on puzzles 2 and 4 and 7.
Because it's my blog, statistics about me:
These have been UPDATED now that data for puzzle 7 is available. I have checked that the formulas are counting exactly the numbers I want them to count; again, I cannot say quite how many people "luck into" a score that could be a correct score.